The Brunswick-Golden Isles Chamber of Commerce advocates on behalf of business in Brunswick and Glynn County, and on behalf of the business interests of its members.
Each year the Chamber provides members the opportunity to prioritize the top legislative needs of our community. We then create a legislative agenda to share with local and state government officials.
Our Current Initiatives Include:
A SAFE COMMUNITY
- Support Glynn County’s request for a regional Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
- Support funding for the implementation of traffic calming processes to make the Bay Street corridor pedestrian friendly.
- Support for EPA/EPD initiatives and Brownfield clean-up projects.
- Support directing resources and support for workforce development through the Department of Labor and ensure that funds are properly directed to local communities through the WIOA program.
- Support state bond investment in bridges and maintain or increase earmarked funding for local bridges.
- Guarantee Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) maintains current traffic flow on Sea Island Road while the bridge over Dunbar Creek is being replaced.
- Support funding to address Sea Level Rising (SLR) projects.
- Support funding for mental health crisis in Georgia.
A PROSPEROUS COMMUNITY
- Continue to support funding for transportation projects in Glynn County to enhance economic development opportunities and evacuation routes.
- Continue to support and fund rural broadband expansion.
- Amend the Taxpayer Bill of Rights to allow for plain language.
- Protect Georgia’s Lodging Tax from redirection.
- Support funding to create affordable housing and workforce housing initiatives for public service employees, like police officers and educators, especially in downtown Brunswick.
- Support expansion of the Port of Brunswick.
- Support and fund key improvements of the main State entrance gateways along I-95 corridor.
- Support legislation that provides enhanced funding and economic development incentives to regional economic development entities, such as Southeast Georgia Development Authority.
- Support funding for infrastructure improvement to locally owned industrial sites.
A COMMUNITY COMMITTED TO PLANNED AND MANAGED GROWTH
- Support local and state efforts to have a comprehensive management plan and funding mechanism to fortify and stabilize vulnerable shoreline areas on the Georgia coast.
- Expansion of Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LITHC) program to include infill housing.
- Expansion of Georgia Dream Homeownership Program.
- Support local community efforts to ensure MSA designation stays intact under current law.
- Support additional funding for Pre-K programs.
A DESIRED LOCATION TO LIVE AND VISIT
- Support funding for Jekyll Island Authority capital improvement.
- Support the current Certificate of Need (CON) Program to help support hospitals, especially during the pandemic.
- Support funding for hospitals that have incurred losses due to the pandemic.
- Support efforts to ensure that affordable health insurance coverage is available to our citizens.
- Support funding to create programs to address systemic poverty and homelessness.
- Support the reactivation of the State Historic Preservation Tax Incentives to foster the adaptive re-use of historic structures for modern use.
- Support funding initiatives to combat chronic blight.
- Support Coastal Georgia Greenway – Bicycle Path Funding.
- Support funding for a state-of-the art lifesaving station for East Beach as part of the proposed Coast Guard Beach Park on St. Simons Island.
A Snapshot History of Our Accomplishments Include:
- Advance Completion I-95 (exit 36 to 29)
- Funding for I-95 Welcome Center
- Lobbied for establishment of jet air service in Brunswick
- Initial Interstate Exits Logo Program experimentation in Georgia at I-95 Exit 36
- Retention of 912 area code
- Newcastle Street median beautification program
- Brunswick’s Liberty Ship Park
- Overhead signage program
- Establishment and Expansion of FLETC
- Establishment of College of Coastal Georgia’s four-year institution status
- Establishment and promotion of Golden Isles Career Academy
- Establishment and promotion of Coastal Pines Technical College
- Signalization Safety Projects
- Initial funding for K-9 programs for City and County
- Jekyll Island Revitalization
- State Developmental Highway Program to Widen US Hwy 82 and US Hwy 341
- Sidney Lanier Bridge Replacement