Initiatives & Advocacy
Initiatives & Advocacy
Brunswick-Golden Isles Chamber of Commerce Initiates Executive Search for New President
The Brunswick-Golden Isles Chamber of Commerce advocates on behalf of business in Brunswick and Glynn County, and on behalf of the business interests of its members.
Our Current Initiatives Include:
- Port Dredging -- Encourage and advocate for federal funding for annual maintenance dredging of the Brunswick Port.
- Flood Insurance -- Work with elected officials and key governmental entities toward ensuring the availability of affordable National Flood Insurance Program insurance premiums for businesses and all property owners in our community. (Includes combating the negative impacts of the Biggert Waters Act in 2012 with the passage of the Homeowner Flood Insurance Act of 2014; working closely with FEMA, Georgia’s EPD, Georgia Department of National Resources and local officials to ensure that FEMA’s FIRM Maps for Glynn County were successfully revised and that the community was kept informed of engagement and progress; and ultimately implementing the new maps effective January 2018 to bring additional financial relief to numerous businesses and individuals.)
- Wetlands Delineation -- Gain federal relief for the Army Corps of Engineers’ interpretation of delineated wetlands, which currently affects private and public property adversely.
- City/County Communication -- Encourage increased city and county dialogue and cooperative efforts to increase the high quality of life in Brunswick and Glynn County.
- Camden Spaceport -- Seek support and public/private funding to develop the Camden spaceport, which will improve the region’s economy.
- Urban Powers Act -- Energize the maximization of opportunities made available to the city and county by the enacting of programs available through the Urban Powers Act, beginning with utilizing tax allocation districts for revitalizing economically depressed areas in Brunswick.
- Wastewater Solutions -- Seek public solutions to funding the city’s and county’s waste water treatment issues affecting our ability to create and sustain new economic expansion.
- Infrastructure Enhancements -- Pursue on-going, continued support in the utilization of SPLOST funds for future infrastructure enhancements in Brunswick and Glynn County, to accomplish a palatable alternative to ad valorem taxes.
- Transportation Improvements -- Lobby in support of needed improvements in surface transportation, such as the widening of US Highway 17 North; needed public transit modes; needed railroad enhancements; and needed improvements for the Brunswick and St. Simons Island airports.
- Workforce Development -- Play a lead role in supporting the workforce development initiative through the curriculum of the county’s public school system, Golden Isles Career and College Academy, Coastal Pines Technical College, and the College of Coastal Georgia, by utilizing programs such as dual enrollment, soft skills training, internships and scholarships.
- ESPLOST Support -- Support infrastructural improvements of the public education system periodically through the utilization of ESPLOST. (Note: As substantiated by research from the University of Georgia, 59% of local sales tax is generated in Glynn County by non-residents of Glynn.)
A Snapshot History of Our Accomplishments Include:
- Advance Completion I-95 (exit 36 to 29)
- Funding for I-95 Welcome Center
- Lobbied for establishment of jet air service in Brunswick
- Initial Interstate Exits Logo Program experimentation in Georgia at I-95 Exit 36
- Retention of 912 area code
- Newcastle Street median beautification program
- Brunswick’s Liberty Ship Park
- Overhead signage program
- Establishment and Expansion of FLETC
- Establishment of College of Coastal Georgia’s four-year institution status
- Establishment and promotion of Golden Isles Career Academy
- Establishment and promotion of Coastal Pines Technical College
- Signalization Safety Projects
- Initial funding for K-9 programs for City and County
- Jekyll Island Revitalization
- State Developmental Highway Program to Widen US Hwy 82 and US Hwy 341
- Sidney Lanier Bridge Replacement